Welcome to Wiser Now’s Caregiving Site
For many years, I kept a sign on my desk that said:
No one in our family ever suffered from insanity. We’ve always enjoyed it.
It was an act of defiance against those who thought caring for my mother with Alzheimer’s disease was a tragedy, and that the rest of her life required those around her to put on a face of solemnity. While today I would hope to find a more sensitively worded sign, the premise - that attitude is nearly everything - still applies.
I say “nearly everything,” because effective caregivers need two things: a positive attitude and the right knowledge.
- A positive attitude doesn’t deny the awfulness of any given disease, but it approaches caregiving with a willingness to go with the flow, and curiosity and amazement for wherever the journey takes us.
- The right knowledge means that as a caregiver, it’s not enough to do your best with a loving heart.
You have to know what to do.
Wiser Now resources for learning what to do
Wiser Now, Inc. is a publishing and learning development company focused on helping you do both. If you are a family or professional caregiver, we offer several categories of products that will increase your skills, your satisfaction and your confidence.
- In the Wiser Now Store under “Caregiver Products” you will find my two books on Alzheimer’s disease along with additional shorter publications which are useful to both family and professional caregivers. The “Staff Development” and “Elder Care Conversations” headings have additional material for professionals.
- I give seminars and workshops. Contact me at Kathy@WiserNow.com or see presentations.
- I have written more than 5000 pages of MindPlay Connections™ which are theme-based, downloadable exercises, including trivia quizzes, word games, discussion topics and more. Check out the Wiser Now Store where more titles are being added monthly.
As a result of my personal and professional experiences, I am passionate about changing the way we care for elders and compassionate toward both the caregiver and care receiver. Let’s get to know one another. You can begin by watching the videos below.
Scramble Squares® from b.dazzle comes in over 100 varieties and can be played by people of all ages and all levels of skill by bending the rules, as the video explains. Download a printout of these ideas now. Order them directly from Amazon by clicking on the links:
The Clock Game, was originally published by ElderGames, and is a game you can easily create on your own, as the video explains.